Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex

3 posters

Go down

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex Empty Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex

Post by Detective Barricade Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:42 pm

It is time. I've covered all five Feralcons in my previous reviews, so if you're curious as to what the individuals are like, go check out those reviews. Now we're into BUILD GIANT ROBOT! territory. We're covering Feral Rex himself!

So transforming the members is generally not hard, assuming you start in beast mode. For Bovis and Fortis, it's primarily folding the legs up and flipping the connector ports out. Annoyingly, Bovis is almost stupidly tight on mine while Fortis feels maybe slightly loose on my copies. Though splitting the rear of the beast to feed the connection system for the feet is very clever, as that will never come undone until you're ready to revert back to the individual modes. Talon basically folds up the bird talons and brings the legs together, then has a split in what he does depending what you want him to be. Take the wings off to make him into an arm, or flip out a connector in his chest as a backpack for the 'ULTIMATE' mode. (more on that in a bit) Tigris is similar, but his shoulders need to be in the robot mode position. Tab the forearms into the front of his shoulders, and then rotate the whole thing to peg into his sides for ease of conversion. His robot head doesn't hide whatsoever, sadly... And Leo Dux has the awesome trick of pulling the head assembly out of the body and then spinning around to get the combiner head before shoving everything back in place.

Now here's what the 'ULTIMATE' form looks like right now...

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex MMCReformattedFeralRex_FormU_zpse9b15ede

Talon is on the back. Felisaber would make the left arm. Pretty much if you can imagine a yellow and black/dark grey Tigris on the other side, that's more or less what the ultimate form looks like. Admittedly, it looks good. Very balanced, especially in having a yellow arm and leg as well as an orange arm and leg. As for physical balance... I can't really say. The extra weight on his back does throw him off a little, but that might be more due to him missing an arm this way. As Tigris also has the slots in his feet to accommodate the combined X-ray cannon, he or Felisaber can mount the weapon if you desire. But enough of this, you want to see the bird as an arm! Very well then...

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex MMCReformattedFeralRex_combined_zps589467fa

Oh. My. God. This is gorgeous! Five fearsome animals come together to form a real scary badass - and he's very proportional! The wings are big enough to be easily noticed and can be adjusted to your liking, Leo Dux's legs can be extended or retracted fully (they're currently halfway) if you want Feral Rex to be a little taller or shorter, (though this hampers articulation in the latter) and the limbs can change sides if you want a more cartoon accurate setup. You even have options in arming this beast. The weapons of the COMPLETION KIT that Tigris came with (at least the initial runs) can plug into the various 5mm ports, including on the wing pack if you wish to store them. The sharp pointy weapons combine in at least two ways - the single huge Oppenheimer sword, or a slightly smaller pair of blades. You can technically keep the tail pieces together and make a 'naginata' like weapon, but the locking mechanism that keeps the sword(s) straight isn't terribly strong so I wouldn't advise doing it. Feral Rex features a seemingly mammoth 48 points of articulation, but 20 of that is in the fingers having two joints each, including the thumbs. This isn't counting the wings, either. I enjoy that he has dedicated elbow and hip joints, but the former isn't strong enough to support the weight of the Oppenheimer sword. (it handles a single smaller blade fine however) The guns over his shoulders also don't really stay fully extended, tending to slide back a little. I blame the chrome messing with the precise amount of friction needed to let them stay extended fully, as too much friction would likely destroy the chrome.

One trick that Feral Rex can do that I can't show is his visor lighting up. If I had the appropriate batteries to insert into the battery compartment in the back of the head, pushing a cleverly hidden button just above the compartment would make the visor glow brightly. Pushing the button again would turn the LED off.

Now I'm sure everyone's asking for a size comparison. Well, you've got one with Hercules. Surely with all the members being bigger than the Hercules guys, Feral Rex would tower over the Devastator lookalike... wouldn't he?

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex MMCReformattedFeralRex_compare_zpsbc9bb624

Not quite. He IS slightly bigger, but only slightly. With the legs fully extended, then he'd be a little larger still, but I don't like that look for Feral Rex. He does tower over FansProject's Causality Multiplexer (Menasor) though, which was the goal. (well, to be about right in scale with Maketoy's Giant if I'm being honest)

While each of the components are worthwhile getting on their own, Feral Rex is further incentive to get them all so you can assemble the glorious beast. He's not perfect, (could have really benefited from having rubber pads built into the feet, that was the smartest thing I've seen on a combiner yet) but he's well worth putting together. It's a joy to put him together, and also a joy to take him apart again to enjoy the individuals. I really hope Mastermind Creations comes back to do another combiner in the future.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex Empty Re: Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:00 am

I think the only thing that could improve that combiner, is different feet, instead of guns, claws, it would suit the theme of these guys better, thou that's my view! Still nice but I'm not buying thou! I also think Ripclaw should be on his knees, bowing and saying "I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!" hehehe
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex Empty Re: Mastermind Creations Reformatted Feral Rex Part 5: Feral Rex

Post by Galvatron Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:09 am

correction SOP..
the only thing to make that guy any better is if he came with a pack of bacon!
Galvatron
Galvatron
Super Slutty Skanky Post Whore
Super Slutty Skanky Post Whore

https://galvatronslair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:53 pm

Galvatron wrote:correction SOP..
the only thing to make that guy any better is if he came with a pack of bacon!

No, he needs claws and a golden crown to prove that he is THE Predaking! hehehe
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 pm

He doesn't need any of that shit. Those who're stupid enough to dispute his name are welcome to fight him over it - and die.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:33 pm

Well I still think claws on his feet would help, espaically if he trying to catch more than one prey at a time, he could catch one, keep them under foot using the claws while his hands could be used to take down the other!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down