Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2

4 posters

Go down

Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2 Empty Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2

Post by Dark Saviour Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Greetings one and all, Dez here with another Takara review! Now we're moving onto the actual series' and we'll begin with Headmasters! This is the first episode in a trilogy and all three episodes have a commentary track by Chris McFeely. I will watch the episode on its own to provide a synopsis, then watch again, with commentary to get any information I can't remember. Then I'll watch the infamous (and horrendous) Star TV Dub! Just to point out any discrepancies (and believe me they're aplenty!)
As a result the first three reviews will be pretty long so, if you don't like lots to read, I apologise.

Anyhoo let's begin!

Notes: This series follows on from The Return Of Optimus Prime and, unlike The Rebirth, is a full 35 episodes long! The American series ended with the 3 part series- The Rebirth but the Japanese were like "No! We're not doing The Rebirth! We're doing our own!" Or something like that. I don't know, I wasn't there. I was four. Anyways they did Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory. They also had another series planned-Zone but that was cancelled after one episode (though it continued in manga form) So let's get cracking with the first episode!

Episode 1: Four Warriors From Outer Space.

(The intro is 80 seconds long, with a nice theme tune. The song is called Transformers: The Headmasters. The intro sequence is somewhat spoiler heavy as we see Twincast, all the Headmasters, Sixshot, Battleship Maximus, the Trainbots and Scorponok in all his glory. Granted most characters appear in this episode but Scorponok doesn't appear in this episode, nor do we see his transtector for quite some. We also see the combined form of the Trainbots-Raiden, a few episodes ahead of time.)

Synopsis: It is the year 2011, one year removed from The Return Of Optimus Prime and the universe looks tranquil. But wait...by way of space bridge, here come the Decepticons!!! Galvatron explains that the mother computer, Vector Sigma, is available to both Autobots and Decepticons. Via itunes. Not really. Galvatron says they need to monopolise Vector Sigma and return to Cybertron. Where they already are(?)
Weirdwolf steps forward and volunteers himself and the Decepticon Headmasters. That's basically their introduction for now. But we'll learn more. Galvatron's already annoyed, accusing Weirdwolf of overstepping his mark! At least he appears saner than before. Weirdwolf wants to impress Galvatron and decides to go anyway! That could come back to bite him...Galvatron just laughs, wondering how they could possibly impress him! Good ol' Galv! He tells the others to ignore them and strive to defeat the Autobots! They leave and he laughs. Again.
Autobot Base. Carly has made coffee for Spike and wonders if it tastes good. Surely, after 20+ years together, she'd have a basic idea of how he likes his coffee! They are interrupted by a rumbling. Ooer...
They rush over to the Autobots where Blurr is talking relatively fast and pacing quite slow. Not like him is it?! Wreck-Gar identifies the bombs as a Decepticon attack! And he didn't even try to sell them anything! Spike attempts to contact Athenia while Wreck-Gar sends Grimlock to help and the Technobots offer to go too. I like how the Grimlock/Technobot connection is still alluded to, no matter how brief it is. Scene Change (which is pretty much the same as the western one)
Autobot Base, Athenia. Optimus Prime is talking with Hound and Hot Rod about Vector Sigma. Hound suggests that a release of Matrix energy could've caused a malfunction. Just then Spike's SOS comes through and Optimus deploys troops to Cybertron, including himself and Jazz. He leaves Rodimus (modern translation, trademarks etc) in charge and requests that Spike evacuate to Athenia. Scene Change.
On Cybertron the battle is heating up! The 'Con Headmasters aren't pleasing Galvatron at all! Step up Mindwipe, who uses his hypnotic powers to send Grimlock to sleep. Unfortunately he'd also sent Skullcruncher, his comrade, to sleep. Cue another amusing Galvatron tantrum!
Back at Athenia Kup is concerned (but doesn't go into story teller mode) while Spike says that Vector Sigma doesn't need to be controlled! He says that Vector Sigma has reset its own balance, which allowed the Decepticons to invade Cybertron. Enter Wreck-Gar who announces that the 'Cons have invaded the space bridge! Kup goes to Cybertron while we go to Earth!
It's a classic "hide behind rocks and shoot" scenario. We see Ultra Magnus, Sideswipe and some arms! Seriously. Narrator explains that the 'Cons are blocking the 'Bots' rescue mission. Good idea. We briefly see Soundwave (with an uncoloured visor), Astrotrain and Prowl!!! Yes, Prowl. The fighting is briefly halted by the arrival of Sixshot! He recieves a lot of TV time throughout the series, which is good. Sixshot is the Decepticon Ninja Staff Officer! Okaaaayyyy...He shoots Magnus in the shoulder, who responds by calling him a coward! Let me rephrase that-Sixshot, facing Magnus, shot Magnus, facing Sixshot, in the shoulder and, even though it wasn't a cheap shot, he was branded a coward! Yeah. Sixshot says that's his fighting style and that Magnus has no hope! Foreshadowing...Magnus then introduces himself and shoots at Sixshot, who asks why he's firing! Er...you just shot him...Magnus then says they're evenly matched (Ha!) and Sixshot calls him cocky. Now. Ultra Magnus has been called a lot of things over the years, especially after Optimus' death in the movie, but I wouldn't exactly call him cocky. Scene Change.
Meanwhile Daniel and Wheelie...oh great! Them! Be professional Mikey boy! Daniel is asking how to get to Cybertron to which Wheelie replies that they can secretly board the Trainbots. Now. If I were a Trainbot, a living being who can think and feel, I think I'd know if someone was "secretly" inside me. On their way to the city they run into Trypticon! Daniel says "I told you we shouldn't go this way!" I hate these two. Cue a "run away from bad guy but you're actually pulling for the bad guy" sequence. Unfortunately the bad guy's thwarted when the smaller beings run across a bridge and goad Trypticon into following them! Silly Trypticon takes the bait and attempts to cross the (to him) very small, narrow and weak bridge...Inevitably the weight of a collossal robot, who transforms into a city, is too much for the bridge and it collapses. Trypticon plunges to the river below. Unfortunately Daniel and Wheelie survive. And gloat. Grrrrrrr...Wheelie then says he's smarter than most people! Yeah right! Scene Change.
Magnus and Sixshot are still fighting and it's surprisingly evenly matched! That is until Magnus misses a lunge and Sixshot starts choking him. Do Transformers breathe? Didn't think so. Cue the entrance of the Trainbots!!! Six trains. And Chris McFeely said the Aerialbots were boring. They manage to rescue Magnus and high tail it outta there while Sixshot calls the remaining 'Cons to follow him. Rather aggressively, I might add.
Now we're at the Autobot base on Earth and...we're back with Daniel and Wheelie, who are still trying to hitch a ride to Cybertron. Meanwhile Magnus, the Trainbots (who can fly as trains but aren't here), Sideswipe and Prowl (yep) are en route to the city but the 'Cons have managed to get ahead of them and are planning an ambush (as they do.) Magnus orders the Trainbots to go to the space bridge while he and the others fight off the 'Cons. The Trainbots are being chased by the Constructicons and the usual trash talking ensues. "I'm gonna beat you!" "No you're not!" "Yes I am!" Lather, rinse, repeat. The Trainbots are eventually "derailed" and fall to the ground, the Constructicons following behind! But help was on the way in the form of...Metroplex!!! Flying. He floors the Constructicons with one shot and orders the Trainbots to board him. He sounded like their stern father: "Space Bridge. Now!"
Back to the other battle and the Autobots have downed the Decepticons! Then they fly away. The Autobots. Flew. Away.
Back at Autobot City everybody finally makes it safely. Wheelie is helping Daniel with his Exo-suit. Daniel's rushing him. The Trainbots head to Cybertron via space bridge. Scene change.
On Cybertron stuff's going down bad. 'Bots being shot, 'Cons being shot, buildings blowing up...pretty brutal! Prime says to Jazz that "Those Decepticons can really fight!" Four million and twenty one years it took him to realise that. The Triple changers, Trainbots and Aerialbots have all arrived as Autobot reinforcements and Galvatron looks annoyed. Yet again.
Kup and co. have just arrived at Athenia and Kup is surprised to learn that Optimus has gone to Cybertron. Rodimus explains that he's gone to calibrate Vector Sigma. Kup gets annoyed and mentions that Optimus doesn't have the control matrix to calibrate the computer. Spike then says that Vector Sigma's circuits are out of control and there's nothing to be done! Carly notices a blip on the screen and they all wonder what it is. Kup says he's never seen it before. Makes a change. Spike then says he's "got a bad feeling about this!" Kup and Blurr look at each other, confused. Never seen Star Wars guys? Scene Change.
Cybertron is burning bad but, unfortunately, not bad enough to affect Daniel and Wheelie as they run about. Daniel says he's going to check on Vector Sigma. Now. If Optimus Prime can't do anything for Vector Sigma then I'm pretty sure a whiney kid, who cries more times than an entire planet of newborn babies, can't do anything either. He then has the gall to say that he got to Cybertron unaided. Now. I wouldn't call sneaking onto the Trainbots, by way of space bridge, with Wheelie's help, in an exo-suit, unaided. That's pretty aided to me...Wheelie obviously echos my sentiments because he argued with Daniel (again) and kicked a rock, which hit a shadowy figure...Daniel then stops in front of the Predacon bull dude. Said Pred then proceeds to chase Daniel in another "run away from bad guy but you're actually pulling for the bad guy" sequence. And again the bad guy fails!!! The Trainbot leader (Shuki?) then runs Pred bull dude over and Wheelie mounts him and punches him. Feeling big now Wheelie? Kicking a guy when he's down? Shuki(?) then says Daniel shouldn't be here and he should go back to Earth. I wish...Scene change.
We're back on Athenia and everybody's still wondering what to do. Now Kup's telling a story. We see a flashback from 4 million years ago. We even see Megatron and Starscream in their only appearances in the series. Kup says some of the citizens escaped and wonders if such tragedy will be repeated. Well they used the same burning planet shot so it's looking that way! Blurr notices that the blip on screen is getting bigger. After being (in his own words) hassled he manages to enlarge the image. It's a battleship! But not just any battleship!
Blurr starts to panic but Kup and Carly think it could be friendly, prompting Rodimus to go and check it out. He leaves Kup in charge. How long until Wheelie's in charge eh?! We see a closer shot of the battleship as Narrator wonders what on Earth it could be. Even though it's nowhere near Earth. Narrator is more sceptical and fears that it could be hostile. Scene Change.
"GATTAAAAIIIIIIIII SUPERION!!!" Okay I added that bit but we still have Superion, charging towards Abominus! As they struggle, Devastator takes aim but he's clobbered by Optimus and his shot hits Abominus! Cue more angry Galvatron. You know what really grinds my gears? Anyway...
Jazz offers to fight Galvatron so Optimus can go ahead to Vector Sigma. Optimus says he won't leave Jazz to die. Michael Bay might disagree...The Triple Changers arrive to face Galvatron (one of them's Springer, I can't remember the other two) and Optimus and Jazz take off!
Devastator is now fighting Defensor and losing, whilst Blitzwing (who's back with galvatron apparently) shoots at Sunstreaker. Unfortunately, for Blitzwing, Sunstreaker goes into a tunnel and Blitzwing hits the wall. Scene Change.
The battle rages on as Weirdolf introduces himself to Grimlock. He's holding what looks like a blue brain. Skullcruncher and Mindwipe also introduce themselves as Grimlock says he'll do them all in! The 'Con Headmasters then lob their multi coloured "brain bombs" at the Autobots but wait! Here comes Slag to the rescue! Ah hang on...now he's asleep. Mindwipe then puts the entire group of present Autobots to sleep! Galvatron is actually happy for once and confident that Vector Sigma is his! But wait! The battleship approaches! Battleship Maximus is in the house! And quite clearly Autobot friendly too. And then...FINALLY...we see the titular characters...the four warriors from outer space!!! Galvatron demands to know who they are and they respond: Chromedome, Hardhead, Highbrow and Brainstorm, the Autobot Headmasters!!! They challenge the 'Con Headmasters as the announcer bigs up the confrontation...

To Be Continued...

End Credits: The song is called "You Are A Transformer" and is a merry little jingle. The visuals are a little odd though, we see a Headmaster transform, Spike and Daniel try to copy, and fail...epicly! At the end they all form a pyramid.

Notes: No Nebulons here! The Headmasters are all Cybertronian. Same format though, small robot becomes head for a transtector.

As well as the Headmasters, the other members of Galvatron's opening group were the Terrorcons (minus Hunn-Grr) and three Predacons.

In contrast to Scramble City (and presumably the American series' imported to Japan) the music in these series' are entirely unique. And pretty good. Though there can be entire scenes without music. It's all a little hit and miss.

The planet, Athenia is a spherical planet, filled with lush plantations and stuff. It's supposed to be the same planet that hosted the galactic olympics in Five Faces Of Darkness. While not mentioned by name in the American version, it was named Athenia in the Japanese dub and is supposed to be the same planet, despite not looking anything like its FFOD self.

Going back to FFOD it was the last time we'd see Jazz in the American series, due to the passing of Scatman Crothers. Jazz was given an olympic victory as a parting gift and never seen again but he's back for Headmasters (or parts of it) and that's not a bad thing.

The concept of Vector Sigma resetting itself is uniquely Japanese. The concept being that the balance of power was with the Autobots, meaning the Decepticons couldn't step foot on Cybertron, but after the energy depletion of the Matrix Of Leadership Vector Sigma reset the balance of power to neutral, allowing the 'Cons to return. The situation with the Matrix is unique and odd as well but we'll get to that later...

In the script for the 86 movie Daniel was written as a 12 year old. In season 3 he'd have turned 13, meaning here he'd be 14. And what an immature, childish 14 year old he is. It's not just me-Daniel and Wheelie are possibly universally reviled! They were supposed to be Bumblebee and Spike, mark 2 but it just fails on so many levels-especially with the darker tones of season 3 onwards!

Wheelie doesn't talk in rhyme here but that doesn't make him any more likeable. I mean it doesn't make him likeable, sorry. Simply put-the guy's a jerk!

Grimlock seems to have a broader vocabulary here. He uses phrases such as "Yes sir!" and "Eh? I feel strange...like I'm being lulled to sleep." Yet his voice and mannerisms are similar.

The Trainbots are some of the last Diaclone toys used in Transformers. The practise was pretty much abandoned in 1987.

Like most Japanese series' the animation/audio sequence is reversed. Whereas the western Transformers series would have the voice work first (with animation made to match) the Japanese would do the animation first, with the audio being done afterwards. This leads to a rather generic mouth flapping motion but, as I stated, it's common practise in Japan.

There are very few "anime" moments in this series. As a continuation of the American series the characters are all drawn and animated like the western series' characters. The series retains a lot of familiarity in terms of its animation. Of course, come Super God Masterforce, that would all change...

(Credit also to Chris McFeely and his commentary track)

Star TV Dub (Oh Joy!)

As I said I would I'm gonna also watch the Star TV Dub to bring you more information. Thankfully only the Headmasters boxset has the dub!

Oh dear...Galvatron not only sounds like a tool but he also wants to control all of "Cyberton"...

Did Blurr just call Spike "Sparkle?!!!

It appears that the Autobots reside in Australia...I'm pretty sure they called Athenie "Sydneya"...

Yes...he's called Sparkle...

...And his wife's called "Carrie"...wonder if she's telekinetic?

Oh! Rodimus is already Rodimus Prime! No Matrix needed...

Mindwipes hypnosis is a "magic spell"...

Instead of the "Sleep baby sleep" that he uses in the subtitles, Mindwipe, here, seems to be singing the chorus of The Lion Sleeps Tonight...

Awimbawa awimbawa awimbawa awimbawa...

Actually Grimlock brings up a good point: How would a robot feel sleepy?

Ahahahahahahaha!!! "Sparkle!!!"

Oh dear...the exchange between "Ninja Consultant" Sixshot and "Local Commander" Ultra Magnus sounds like a disagreement between two stereotypical Englishmen...

Robot Train?! Really?!

It's not Trypticon...it's a giant!!!

The Constructicons actually ask "Robot Train" to slow down...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE F'N KIDDING ME!!! Metroplex comes to the rescue and..."Burt's here to help us!"

Seriously. Metroplex is called "Burt".

The Triple Changers are now called "The Rescue Team"...

Jazz is called "Marshall"...

And the legendary Matrix Of Leadership...is called the "Power Pack"...

Dear oh dear...

Did I say Blurr earlier? Sorry, I meant "Wally!"

And, Fortress' grand speech is "Don't count your chickens before they've hatched!"

Despite the subtitles I haven't once heard the word "Headmaster" in the dub...

Oh dear...

Final Thoughts: Disregarding the US dub I found this episode to be enjoyable. A lot of new characters were introduced and we'll see a lot of older ones phased out over the coming episodes. The narration and fast pace was a little too much at times but a lot had to be established. Prowl's appearances were a welcome, yet inconsistent inclusion. There's a lot to get your head around, in terms of story differences between east and west but I don't mind the Japanese putting their own stamp on things. Wheelie and Daniel...yeah...

Final Score: 7/10

Well that's my first Headmasters review done! This is the first episode in a trilogy so I won't wait too long until my next review. So until then...
Dark Saviour
Dark Saviour
Fap Master of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2 Empty Re: Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2

Post by Galvatron Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 am

makes me want to watch the series again. I got the copies with the lame ass english dubs.
Galvatron
Galvatron
Super Slutty Skanky Post Whore

https://galvatronslair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2 Empty Re: Dezaras Prime's Transformers: Takara Reviews #2

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 pm

I got Headmasters on DVD, not my favourite of the Takara series, but I will not attempt to watch it with the poor quality dub! As for the planet that the games were held on, it just shows a dramatic change between the west and the east in terms of animation and how the animators view the script! With the intro, I do like it a lot more than the outro for the series, but then again, in resent years I've become drawn more and more into Japan's anime opening and closing themes, but I can't say I like every anime op or end because some stink, just as some series become loaded with crappy writing and completely loose the plot to let the ordinal source stuff pan out more!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Galvatron wrote:makes me want to watch the series again. I got the copies with the lame ass english dubs.

I also have the set. I still haven't made it past more than a few episodes, though. The English dubs kills any enjoyment I would've had in it. It's really too bad there wasn't a collaboration between the Japanese producers and the G1 voice cast. I think the stories are excellent, however and could have benefited from some experienced voice over talent.
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Six, my advice, DO NOT, bother trying to watch the series with the poor quality dub, just watch in subs only!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 pm

SuperOmegaPrime wrote:Six, my advice, DO NOT, bother trying to watch the series with the poor quality dub, just watch in subs only!

But then I'm too busy reading the subs at the bottom and I feel like I'm missing out on the action....those cyber-ninja battles move pretty damn fast! machinegun Wheelie Maul
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 pm

You must adapt to read and watch at the same time, I've done that and that's how I totally enjoy watching a lot of anime, for example, Fairy Tail which I'm currently watching!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Tue May 07, 2013 1:43 am

from watching Dez's youtube vids, he would be a better voice actor for the HM series than what they used
DUDE!
BITCH!
lmfao!!
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Saviour Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Ah so you've seen my latest offerings then?
Dark Saviour
Dark Saviour
Fap Master of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 am

DUDE! I did indeed. BITCH!
Friggin hilarious!
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Saviour Fri May 10, 2013 2:04 pm

Have you seen all three parts?
(Well two parts and an epilogue.)
Dark Saviour
Dark Saviour
Fap Master of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 pm

i think i only seen one
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Fri May 10, 2013 11:25 pm

i take that back i just watched episode 28.
absolutly loved the Cyclonus & his armada dance. That was outstanding!
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Saviour Sat May 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks
Dark Saviour
Dark Saviour
Fap Master of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down