Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes

4 posters

Go down

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes Empty MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes

Post by Detective Barricade Sun May 19, 2013 11:41 pm

When someone mentions Transformers, what comes to mind? Certainly the heavy hitters of the franchise, Optimus Prime and Megatron. But one anyone who grew up with the Generation 1 cartoon would have quickly spring to mind is Megatron's loyal lieutenant. No, not Starscream. He fails the 'loyal' part. No, not Shockwave either. He's loyal only to logic, whether it tells him to keep his leader appeased...or to replace him. Soundwave, Megatron's true right hand mech and communications officer. As far as toys representing his G1 self...he hasn't had much, even in the *ahem* unofficial world. The original toy, the atrocity that is Titanium Soundwave, WST, and Music Label which is a MP3 player disguised as Soundwave disguised as a tape player. But now, Takara has released him under their Masterpiece line, and included Laserbeak to get you started on his cassettes. The other four (currently released) cassettes are released in two-packs: Ravage and Rumble, Buzzsaw and Frenzy. Hasbro has announced that they will be releasing Soundwave and all five of his currently available cassettes together in their Masterpiece line as a Toys 'R' Us exclusive alongside Acid Storm. How do these guys stack up against the likes of Optimus and Sideswipe? That's what we're here to find out.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_Alt_zpsb0197566

Soundwave's alternate mode is...a box. A cassette player if you want to be technical, and a micro-cassette player if you need to be really precise. Metallic blue, silver, dark clear, translucent red for the recording/low battery light, and gold trim are Soundwave's colors. The buttons are chromed. There's also some black detailing on the sides for...stuff I don't know if the real thing would do or not, but it's there. There's a headphone jack on top, (which can mostly fit an actual headphone plug) a switch, and a dial on the sides. (which can move a little) These and most of his robot mode feet are all die-cast metal. Now, for a size comparison with something everyone should have on hand...
MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_Altcompare_zpsbc067734

A pop can! ...And a Vehicon. Also Laserbeak in tape mode inside his cassette case. Although it could be Rumble or Ravage's...they're all the same so it doesn't matter. Anyway, Soundwave can hold up to three cassettes inside the tape deck. There's a false back that can be pushed back to accommodate the extra tapes, and a button on the back disguised as the belt clip that you push down on to move the false back inside forward to the next position. However, do NOT push it when you have more than one tape in there and they're already as far forward as they can go, as this may jam the door or break something. Very bad. And now, I must take you to the back to see the weapon storage. Not pretty back there, but oh well.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_Weaponstore_zps2f51b513

Rumble's (and Frenzy) pile-drivers can store on what will be Soundwave's forearms, specifically that little rectangle piece. Soundwave's own weapons still store as batteries, albeit completely exposed aside from the top. His 'sensor' plugs onto his butt. When transforming, you've gotta remove it but once done you can plug it right back on his butt. Rumble's (or Frenzy, not both at the same time) guns can store in Soundwave's feet in the same sides as which they'd plug in on Rumble/Frenzy's back with the peg pointing toward the top of the foot and the wing sliding into the slot for it inside the foot. That door panel on each foot (and the blue part inside) is not metal, though still coated in the same silver paint that covers the metal parts so it won't stand out in robot mode.

Speaking of which, why don't we jump right into that? The transformation is intuitive...mostly. See the blue and silver pieces in the bottom left corner of the previous picture? They're connected together by a very tight double hinge that snaps every 45 degrees. It's a struggle to get these pieces to straighten out or fold back up again as it almost feels like it's going to break. Some minor cracks have developed around here, but it still holds together just fine. A subtle thing to watch for is that the waist can slide forward and back for transformation. If not slid forward when going back to tape player mode, things won't line up very nicely. To be able to tell if it's forward or back, just check the area just below the tape deck door in robot mode. If there's a small block sticking out, then the waist is slid forward. Now, let's size compare with my lovely assistant, RC! ...What's that? ...What do you mean, 'you're busy'? ...Alright, fine, I'll use him for the comparison. *ahem* I've been suggested that I should use someone more appropriate to compare to Soundwave. So let's do that.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_Botcompare_zps96348edc

Masterpiece Toys 'R' Us exclusive Optimus, and a pop can since not everyone's lucky enough to own Optimus. Soundwave comes with a slightly retooled gun mode Megatron accessory that came with MP-1/MP-4. The back half of the grip now features a hinge to bend the attachment point for the shoulder stock down. The shoulder stock is also cylindrical rather than a thin box, and much sturdier feeling, though it still retains the hinge of the original. This means that the shoulder stock can be moved out of the way without looking weird. You also don't have to take the pile-drivers off of Soundwave's arm if you don't want. To attach the 'sensor', leave one hand flipped in his forearm and plug the accessory onto the slots provided on the back of the wrist. I'm sure he used this in one episode of the cartoon or something. I don't know. One thing to note is that the shoulder cannon does not come off. Instead, you flip it up from the back, (which has silver paint in the areas covered by the weapons. That's just nuts) and turn it to point forward. His concussion blaster has you pull the positive (+) end back and flip the grip down. This pushes the chromed barrel of the blaster out just enough to get your fingernails around it and pull it the rest of the way out. And just like with Optimus and Sideswipe, there's tabs on the grip that fit into slots in the hands so the weapon stays there securely.

But wait! There's more! Soundwave comes with a data readout screen to plug onto his chest. Unfortunately, the two different readouts, one with a ship's schematics and another with lots of gibberish representing vital data that'll either tell the Decepticons of another energy source to strike or allow them to vanquish the meddling Autobots FOREVER!, (more likely eventually lead them to retreating with their tails between their legs) are printed on the back of the instruction booklet with his bio (in Japanese) on the other side. I'd rather not destroy my instruction booklet for a gimmick I don't care much about, and can't be bothered to go print off a copy of them for the very same reason, so I can't really show it off.

But I'm still not done! Remember how Soundwave could produce empty energon cubes for the Decepticons to fill with the energy source they were plundering that week? Well you can replicate that too! Oddly, it's more of a trapezoidal prism than a rectangular one or an actual cube - the front of the cube is slightly smaller than the back, which also includes a lid for when not attached. It's clear because it's empty, but TakaraTomy was kind enough to provide a papercraft 'filled' energon cube insert. All you gotta do is print it off their site, (or other sites where members have copied it for others' convenience as not everyone understands Japanese) build it, and stick it inside the cube. Or, you could just buy a set of 'energon pink' or 'Dark Energon purple' cubes from Dr. Wu, a small unofficial/'third party company'. Those who preordered through Amazon Japan got extra energon cubes so that you can have Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp get to work filling them. As has happened with Sideswipe's chromed wedge-shaped pile-drivers, I'm sure TakaraTomy will make them available for sale separately later for those who didn't preorder through Amazon Japan.

Articulation. Does Soundwave have it? Yes he does, in spades I might add. 37 points of it, and all of it quite useful. Double jointed elbows will allow him to easily reach and touch his own eject button on his left shoulder. And the shoulders have two joints each at which they can move, both for aesthetics preference and so Laserbeak/Buzzsaw won't get bumped off of his shoulder if you want to move his arm out. One little problem on mine is that his left index finger's tip doesn't like to stay in place. The right one bends fine without popping out, but if I'm not careful the left will slide right out when I go to move it. I mention this because it could pop up on others, and quite possibly on the upcoming (as of the time of typing this) Hasbro Masterpiece Soundwave. Just be careful with his index fingers' tips.

Now, since this review is going to be much bigger than my other ones, due to covering all of the cassettes as well, I'm going to stop here with Soundwave's part and come back later to cover the cassettes. Also, as this is a new board, I'm not sure what the character limit is so I'm going to play it safe. Catch you guys in the next part!
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes Empty Re: MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes

Post by Detective Barricade Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm

So, now onto Soundwave's cassette buddies! Technically, I only need to review one with Soundwave, that being the one he comes with, Laserbeak. (or Condor for Japanese fans, but I call him by his English name) However, since Hasbro will be releasing their version of Soundwave with Buzzsaw, Ravage, Rumble, and Frenzy in addition to Laserbeak I'll cover them all here so those getting the Hasbro version have a better idea what all they're in for in one spot. Also, because I feel like it.

First up, Laserbeak...and Buzzsaw. They're the same mold, converting between cassettes and bird shaped robots that are predominantly black and silver, but one is red with a gunmetal beak and the other is yellow with a yellow beak. So I'll be lazy and review them together instead of making a separate section for Buzzsaw! ...Then again, I've probably wasted more time with this gag than just putting that one measly sentence after... Oh well. Cassette mode is pretty convincing...unless you look at the back. Then the disguise kind of goes out the window. Transformation is pretty ingenious in how they managed to integrate the thrusters/cannons that Laserbeak and Buzzsaw are known for in their robot modes into it. The robot mode is great. Only about 8 points of articulation, and that's being generous. As honestly about the only joints worth bothering with most of the time are the ones for the neck. But they just look so cool it doesn't matter! While Buzzsaw can do it too, Laserbeak has a panel that opens on his head to reveal the camera he used to spy on the Autobots in the '86 movie. Nice touch. Under the feet are a set of grooves, and raised sections on Soundwave's shoulders. Fit one foot onto there and the birds can perch on his shoulder...although there's not much room on his right shoulder what with the shoulder gun there. Soundwave also features clear plastic tabs on the red part of his forearms that the birds can also perch on. No matter where they perch, they're easily pulled off again, it's just to ensure they don't fall off if Soundwave is jostled or picked up.

Here's Laserbeak.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPLaserbeak_Bot_zps4e00aefb

Here's Laserbeak perched on Soundwave's arm, likely delivering some juicy info.

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_Laserbeakperched_zps3b26e9ef

Next up, Rumble! Same cassette mode, same level of convincing-ness when viewed from the front as Laserbeak, as well as the same level when viewed from the back as him, too. Some blue appears on the front with the red, black, and silver. Transformation is easy, and largely similar to G1 Rumble with the biggest change being that the head folds out instead of springing out. (also don't forget to extend his waist) Cyan appears on Rumble's legs, and he shows off some gold chrome! Gold chrome that tends to act like a fingerprint magnet, especially on the crotch! (that didn't sound right...) He doesn't integrate his weapons, since the pile-drivers are bigger than his entire cassette mode and he needs to be able to wield the guns in his hands as well as on his back. The guns have a swinging peg with two sides: a shorter, thicker side to plug onto his back; and a longer, thinner side to fit in his hands. The pile-drivers fit over the forearms and audibly click into place, staying on securely. From there, they can extend to look like he's pounding the ground with them, although he needs to be bent over for them to reach. (just like how he used them in the cartoon) They can also store on his back by pegging into the holes his guns normally go into, though it requires him to lean forward a bit due to banging into the back of his legs. The guns can also store inside the pile-drivers, going into each wing out and barrel down for the same side pile-driver. (right to right, left to left) For articulation, he's got 13 points of it. This includes ball jointed shoulders and ankles, although like Soundwave, the forward hip movement is a little odd looking. Regardless, it's quite impressive for such a small - er, I mean, vertically challenged humanoid robot.

And for a pic of the pile-drivers on his back...

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPRumble_Weaponstore_zps860c8f43

Frenzy is the same as Rumble, just blue for red and purple for black. The cassette details though are almost identical aside from a slightly lighter blue. Both wear their Decepticon symbols proudly on their bellies.

Finally, we come to the one who doesn't share a mold with anyone to be released with Hasbro's Masterpiece Soundwave. The one voted 'most likely to adopt a Russian accent', Ravage! ...Do I even need to say what he turns into at this point? Or how convincing he is at it from the front or rear? No? Good. All the details are painted in silver, otherwise he's entirely black plastic. Transformation is quite clever, and completely different than his Universe toy. Although if you rush through it...he's got no nose! It's inside the left side of his head, just flip it out. In robot mode, Ravage looks like how he should...aside from the holes in his hips and bits of kibble on his elbows. His tail is off-center, coming from the right side of his butt only. Considering how his backside converts, it's acceptable. Dark grey comes in loud and proud on all four legs and teeny, tiny dabs of red bring his eyes out. And unlike his Universe toy, his mouth is molded only partially open. Like it though, his heat-seeking missiles are molded onto his hips. (albeit much more impressive looking in size) Actually, they serve as his hips! He's got the most points of articulation out of any of the cassettes, 20 in total. Naturally, his head can't turn side to side, but it can look up a bit thanks to the transformation joint. Only his shoulders are ball jointed.

And because someone wanted to see Ravage, here he is in a rare moment of not skulking around!

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPRavage_Bot_zps4e9b33be

Now, how do these guys size up in their robot modes? Well, Arcee will demonstrate with a pop can!

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPCassettes_Botcompare_zpsc5b11d6f

...She's gonna kill me for putting her next to a trio of Decepticons, isn't she? Eh, I'll give her Starscream to take her frustrations out on. Hopefully I'll be able to find all his pieces afterward...again.

GROUP SHOT!

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes MPSoundwave_wcassettes_zps35b322d3

So, are these guys all worth it? For Frenzy and Buzzsaw, I'll say no. For Ravage (as much as I like him) and Rumble, I must also say no. $60 a pop for a set of two cassettes before shipping and whatnot is a bit too much...if you're only getting them for themselves. Soundwave and Laserbeak went for almost $180, and yet I'd say they're certainly worth that. If you're getting Soundwave and Laserbeak, then the other two sets are more worthwhile to complete Soundwave's group for now. At least one set so you can experience everything Soundwave can do.

BUT, there's that Hasbro Masterpiece Soundwave, who comes with all five cassettes. While he might not come with all of his accessories, and aims to be more toy accurate than cartoon accurate in terms of colors, (most notably a yellow visor instead of a red one) he's supposedly going to be sold as a Toys 'R' Us exclusive for just over $100 USD. For THAT price, unless you absolutely must have a red visor or do not collect Masterpiece figures whatsoever, then YES, these six are worth getting.

Now...we can haz Classics-y Soundwave? Outside of his appearance in a video game?
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes Empty Re: MP-13, 15, 16 Soundwave and Cassettes

Post by Sixshot Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 am

Excellent review! Fantastic read and I learned something new about Soundwaves forearms doubling as weapons storage. Repped you accordingly 'bro +1! I might actually jump on board the MP Collectors train once the Hasbro version is released. Assuming I can find him that is, and the scalpers don't beat me there.

:job:
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Mon May 20, 2013 2:44 am

If I find the TRU version, I might not be able to pass that up. Soundwave has always been one of my all time favorites.
Galvatron
Galvatron
Super Slutty Skanky Post Whore

https://galvatronslair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks to SIXSHOT, there is a MP Soundwave that will soon be in my collection. This review and the reprolabels thread convinced me to get it.
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm

Galvatron wrote:Thanks to SIXSHOT, there is a MP Soundwave that will soon be in my collection.
Hey, it's what we do for each other! Seen one at the Comic Con (Hasbro), but it was just MP Soundwave and no cassettes for $60 loose without the box. Little Rock TRU had nothing yesterday, so I went up to North Little Rock's TRU today and they happened to have just 1.....hidden in a separate part of the store from the rest of the Transformers and behind glass. I almost walked out and missed it myself, but I had a great lady willing to help me locate it and knew just which figure I was talking about. *shocked*
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:38 am

talk about finding a needle in a haystack! It's the same feeling as finding a brick of gold when things like that happen.
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:49 am

I gotta say, I simply love the MP Soundwave and his cassettes. It's one of my most favorite additions. I bought the Hasbro version that included Buzzsaw, Laserbeak, Ravage, Rumble & Frenzy.
Each cassette is completly outstanding. I am once again addicted to the plastic crack. Masterpiece Soundwave is the MASTERPIECE of Masterpieces.

:coke:
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 pm

I love the masterpiece cassettes.  cant wait for ratbat to be released.  cash!
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:55 am

These guys are pure awesome!! Everything about them is nothing less than perfection. The reprolabels only improved perfection.
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:30 am

I agree 100%
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:36 pm

Ravage wrote:I love the masterpiece cassettes.  cant wait for ratbat to be released.  cash!

Ratbat was released with MP Soundblaster. unfortunatly, he has not seen a solo release. I'm still waiting for that as well.
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm

MP soundblaster hasn't been released yet.  he scheduled for next month I think
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm

if Hasbro has half a brain they will do a solo release though.  if not there will be some good ko's
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:33 pm

MP Ratbat will see a KO release shortly after MP Soundblaster gets released.
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:16 pm

i hope you are right
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 am

Ravage wrote:if Hasbro has half a brain they will do a solo release though.  if not there will be some good ko's
If Hasbro has half a brain they won't do a solo release of Ratbat and instead release Soundblaster with Ratbat...and toss in Slugfest and Overkill while they're at it.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:51 am

there already is a 3rd party Slugfest and Overkill.

http://tfsource.com/kfc/haymaker-overslay/

I plan on getting these dino-bitches as soon as they are released. so all I'm after is MP Ratbat.
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 am

I cant wait to add another cassette.  I don't like kfc cassettes or I would have all those too.
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 am

if I had to sell all my stuff and keep only one thing it would be all my cassettes of course.
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:43 am

Ravage wrote:if I had to sell all my stuff and keep only one thing it would be all my cassettes of course.
I sold all my cassettes years ago and went to CDs.  hehehe  I'm with most people, the only other (Decepticon) MP Cassette I'd be interested in would be Ratbat.
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 am

after I got my MP Soundwave and cassettes... I sold my G1 set. I still got G1 Slugfest, Overkill and Ratbat... but once I get the MP's of them.. I'm selling my G1s
Galvatron
Galvatron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:05 am

hammer
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:15 am

KFC's products to me are decidedly...not 'so good'. Not even 'finger lickin' good'. I'd buy a Masterpiece Squawktalk and Beastbox/Squawkbox in a heartbeat, but KFC's version seems unappealing. I think it's the fact that there's no attempt to make at least one side look like a cassette tape nor be at all solid in tape mode.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 am

my thoughts exactally DB.  that's why I have never bought one and Im a cassette guy.  their new dino cassettes look even worse in cassette mode.
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down