Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rumble's CDX Revival

5 posters

Go down

Rumble's CDX Revival Empty Rumble's CDX Revival

Post by Rumble Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:07 pm

OK, a bit of an odd one as this isn’t TF related, but I thought why not post it up here in case it is of any use to anyone that stumbles across the Lair in the future.

First off a bit of background information about the SEGA Multi Mega/Genesis CDX:

Back in the early late 80’s and early 90’s, SEGA were in a bitter video game console war with Nintendo as well as NEC, Atari and others. SEGA’s offering was the Mega Drive (Genesis) and like most of its competitors, primarily used removable cartridges to store game programs.

Rumble's CDX Revival MD1_zpscffcd2a8

However these were limited in storage space, and were relatively expensive to produce, being made of several components.  Looking to the future, the manufactures began to develop CD based systems that would work alongside their consoles, allowing them to take advantage of the increased storage capacity, higher quality sound and much cheaper production costs of CD media. SEGA’s system for their Mega Drive (Genesis) console was called the Mega-CD (Sega CD) and plugged into the console via the expansion port on its side. Although not particularly successful, SEGA produced a lower cost version of their Mega-CD, to sit alongside their re-designed Mega Drive II (Genesis 2) console.

Rumble's CDX Revival MDIIMCDII_zpscec7ff46

Soon after, SEGA released a new, much more compact version of the console, one that combined both of these systems into one machine, as well as being able to act as a portable CD player, the SEGA Multi-Mega (Genesis CDX).

Rumble's CDX Revival MM_zps289f2809

At the time of release, the systems were showing their age, and as excitement grew about the future consoles that had been announced, consumers decided not to spend their money on aging hardware, which caused lacklustre sales of the new machine. SEGA stopped production after a year or so, with very few units being made and released worldwide.

So why the history lesson?

Being a retro games fan, I collect different games hardware, but have always loved SEGA since the Mega Drive was my first console. I have recently acquired one of my ‘holy grail’ items, a non-working Genesis CDX. I have been looking at them for a long time, but loose working ones tend to fetch upwards of £130, and I couldn’t justify that cost on a machine that doesn’t do anything extra that my Mega Drive + Mega CD + Mp3 Player can’t do. The non-working one was much more affordable, with the bonus that I could take it apart and challenge myself to bring it back from the dead.

I am going to share my progress with you…
Rumble
Rumble
Richest Decepticon

Location : Trapped by Replicating Pods... The kind that keep you up all night with their coughing.

Back to top Go down

Rumble's CDX Revival Empty Re: Rumble's CDX Revival

Post by Sixshot Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:23 pm

I haven't seen any of those systems in years!
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rumble Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Keep an eye on this thread, as we will be getting much more personal with the Genesis CDX.
Rumble
Rumble
Richest Decepticon

Location : Trapped by Replicating Pods... The kind that keep you up all night with their coughing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ravage Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:39 am

never seen that and im sure not gonna read all that...i get tired just thinking of all the typing u did hehehe
Ravage
Ravage
Cassette Carnivore

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramjet Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:17 am

I love Sega! Never owned a Nintendo (until N64). Why would I? Everyone else owned own! I started with the Master System, but traded it to Sega for a game and a convertor when I got the Genesis. Never had Sega CD, but I did have the 32X, which was pretty lame. Still love my Dreamcast as well. I'd love to find just a Master System base, since I sent it back to Sega but still have all the hook-ups and controllers.
Ramjet
Ramjet
Hearder Of Inflatable Sheep

http://www.dimgraphics.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Rumble Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:59 am

flik68 wrote:never seen that and im sure not gonna read all that...i get tired just thinking of all the typing u did hehehe
You should give it a read, might learn something and it sets the tone for the rest of the adventure.

Ramjet wrote:I love Sega! Never owned a Nintendo (until N64). Why would I? Everyone else owned own! I started with the Master System, but traded it to Sega for a game and a convertor when I got the Genesis. Never had Sega CD, but I did have the 32X, which was pretty lame. Still love my Dreamcast as well. I'd love to find just a Master System base, since I sent it back to Sega but still have all the hook-ups and controllers.
I knew there was a reason I liked you! N64 was my first Nintendo console too, but I have always been a SEGA fan. I have a 32x, its not as bad as people like to make out, but yeah, could have been so much better with more support. Shame the cost of shipping is so high or I would grab a Master System and get it sent to you, they are really common here.
Rumble
Rumble
Richest Decepticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Rumble Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:33 pm

So lets begin,

I purchased the SEGA CDX from a seller who described the console as ‘not working’. What this meant was that when powered on, the console’s LED display would light up orange, but it would not display anything on the TV, it just output a black screen regardless of whether a CD was in the drive or a cartridge was plugged into the slot at the back. What it should have done is either automatically boot up a game cartridge if one is inserted, or if there is no cartridge, the console should start up the CD BIOS screen and wait for a disc.
 To me, the black screen was a sign that the console was outputting a TV signal, but for some reason there was no data being displayed. If no signal was present at all, the TV would have just remained static.
 I decided to take the risk and buy the console, either I would repair it, or end up with an expensive (but still cool looking) brick for my collection.

Rumble's CDX Revival CDXCoolBrick_zpsf0e5a3a9

Getting the console home I decided that regardless or if I can repair it or not, I was happy with my purchase. I love having one in my collection, I have always wanted one since I found out about them, and I was amazed at how tiny it is, even when compared to the smaller, redesigned Mega Drive II with Mega CD attached:

Rumble's CDX Revival CDXSizeComparison_zpsa38451d9

After plugging it all up to my TV and determining for myself that the console was indeed faulty as described, I decided it was time to crack it open and investigate what secrets waited within…

It was at this point that I started to unravel the history of this unassuming, little black box.

Rumble's CDX Revival CDXBottom_zpse3d3c580

Screws! There were screws missing!

Rumble's CDX Revival CDXMissing2_zpsabb94a7e

Rumble's CDX Revival CDXMissing1_zpsed2ea1db

The bottom of the console is held on by 7 screws, 4 on the bottom, one on either side, and one on the back. The screw located on the back, and those on the sides were all missing, a tell-tale sign that someone had been inside before… On the bright side, it did make getting the case off that much easier, I must admit.

So I unscrewed the 4 screws that hadn’t been lost to the sands of time, and gently pulled off the casing, it was at this point that I revealed the next secret...
Rumble
Rumble
Richest Decepticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramjet Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:03 pm

waiting 

I think I only got the 32X for Doom.
Ramjet
Ramjet
Hearder Of Inflatable Sheep

http://www.dimgraphics.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:10 am

I've never owned a Sega. I was always Nintendo or Playstation
Galvatron
Galvatron
Super Slutty Skanky Post Whore

https://galvatronslair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rumble Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

Ramjet wrote:waiting

I think I only got the 32X for Doom.
That was one of the reasons I got mine, I love a bit of DOOM.

Rumble's CDX Revival DOOM_zpsec08bb06

Galvatron wrote:I've never owned a Sega. I was always Nintendo or Playstation
You poor creature. Treat yourself and go buy a Sega console now... We will all wait here for you.
Rumble
Rumble
Richest Decepticon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sixshot Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:08 am

I've owned a Sega Genesis. My folks own a Sega Saturn still, but my house worships Sony when it comes to gaming now-a-days!
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Galvatron Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:40 am

Rumble wrote:
Galvatron wrote:I've never owned a Sega. I was always Nintendo or Playstation
You poor creature. Treat yourself and go buy a Sega console now... We will all wait here for you.
You will be waiting for a long time. I'm completly addicted to GTA 5 on the PS3
Galvatron
Galvatron

https://galvatronslair.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: