Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron

2 posters

Go down

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron Empty Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron

Post by Detective Barricade Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Maketoys is a company that I've mentioned before, but haven't had the pleasure to own anything made by them until now. This review series will be of the (as of this review) latest in their MTCombiner series, Quantron. There will be no conclusion until the end because of one important factor - Quantron comes as a set, just like Type 61 Giant before it and more than likely Guardia after it. This little series of reviews has reached its end. If you haven't yet, go check out the reviews of the individuals. As now, we're looking at them all together!

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerTechnobots_Alt_zps711b1985

And naturally that starts with them all in vehicle mode. Blindfire, Celeritas, Metalstorm, Overheat, and Sonicdrill. They're of course based on the G1 Technobots Strafe, Lightspeed, Scattershot, Afterburner, and Nosecone, but you'd know that already if you read my other reviews. They look great together, an important factor for a team. ...Then again, they're all sci-fi vehicles, so I would hope they all look good together.

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerTechnobots_Bot_zpsb243fdbc

Next, we have their robot modes. Here they don't quite all look precisely like their G1 counterparts, but still good enough. You can see Overheat's weapons forming the hammer I mentioned in his review, and the manipulator arms on Sonicdrill, and attached everything to Metalstorm not unlike Diesel. But we've seen enough of them individually, let's BUILD GIANT ROBOT!

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerQuantron_zps6545d632

I will say this right off the bat - I have the guns attached facing the wrong way on Celeritas. The wheel magazine...thing is supposed to face to the back. Oops. That aside, the silhouette of Quantron is undeniably inspired by G1 Computron. The head seems perhaps a tad small between his massive shoulders, but I suppose that's the more anime styling showing itself. I like how both of Metalstorm's guns combine iwth two other pieces to make Quantron's primary firearm. (we'll get to what else he's got shortly) Unfortunately, he can't switch around his limbs. I have no idea if Guardia will use the same connection system, but each hand and foot is designed specifically to connect to only one bot. The legs can swap sides, though the left connector slide is slightly loose on mine so only Sonicdrill really works well there, but you'll have to disassemble the hands to swap the wrist connectors so they can fit for the guy usually on the other side. Quantron houses roughly 38 points of articulation, counting the hands. Caution needs to be taken with Sonicdrill, as the blocks that now connect with the ankle piece don't connect to him all that well. If you're not careful, the whole thing will come right out and isn't the most fun to get in there in the first place. I have noticed stress marks on nearly all of the C-clips on the set, but they don't seem to be worsening... Just don't be too rough with them.

Before we get into the other things Quantron can do, let's size him up with another combiner.

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerQuantron_Sizecompare_zps2f0a78cb

Of course I mean Multiplexer. I've been comparing these guys with FansProject's combiner since they're so similar in style for the entirety of this review series, why would I stop now? Anyway, the two are remarkably similar in height, though Quantron has more involved with his legs. And much less frustrating means to connect and disconnect his limbs.

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerQuantron_BFG_zps460a776d

Now then, I hinted that Quantron has at least another weapon. And that is the cannon on his back. You can remove the hand off of Blindfire and attach the back cannon into the resulting socket for a BFG! Awesome, right? Well, not so much when it's so heavy he can't really support it, at least not without applying some floor polish to Blindfire's hips and knees to keep from flopping. Even then, it tends to pull him forward. A nice effort, at least...

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron MTCombinerQuantron_BFB_zps6f5d771b

But wait! There's more! Reattach the hand, and take off the back part of the cannon, and you get a giant bow! This is the reason why the thing is so heavy - the telescoping rods inside are metal. A pair of translucent orange tabs plug into the back of either wrist while the other hand can take hold of one of the grips on the bow for an archery pose, though it takes some patience to get things lined up right to do it. It's awesome once you do pull it off, though.

NOW we can finally conclude this thing. The set altogether costs about $430, give or take. That's not cheap. However, you're getting all five figures together, and I think it's worth it. Sadly, Unique Toys' Ordin will be too large to scale with Quantron, so we'll just have to wait and see who else will tackle Abominus... if you care about scale. At least Quantron can try and fight Giant and Mastermind's Feral Rex.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron Empty Re: Maketoys MTCombiner Quantron Part 6 - Quantron

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:01 am

MMMMMMM, the combiner mode, head does look a little lost when that weapon is attached to the back of his body, still, interesting but, I'm not buying, much as I like G1 characters, the Technobots were kind of lost on me, about the only thing I recall of them, is one drilling from one part of Unicron's head to another! Besides, there's far to many Autobots about these days and not enough cons!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down