Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur

2 posters

Go down

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur Empty Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur

Post by Detective Barricade Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:26 am

For today's review, I decided to take a dive into the Arms Micron line. But instead of a Deluxe or Voyager, why not cover a few of the Arms Micron Weapons series? The Arms Micron Weapon series consists of twelve individual Microns, most of which are recolored from their releases as pack ins with larger figures, such as Jida from Terrorcon Cliffjumper. (plus an Autobot five pack and a Decepticon five pack) They usually carry the same energon crystal as their pack in versions, allowing to substitute them into their Super Combos if you didn't buy the figure that the normal version came with. (like substituting Jida R to go with Noji and Ida to make a redder Lunatic Chainsaw Super Combo) But some start off in this line, and there's no better way for them to kick this line off than with the Dark Matter Calibur. And that is what's up for review today.

It should be noted that 'Autobot' microns and 'Decepticon' microns have two different styles of robot mode. Humanoid for Autobots, beasts for Decepticons. Though the toys themselves make no real distinction other than the sticker that goes underneath the energon crystal. That reminds me, the other thing to note is that just like their pack in counterparts, they come on a plastic tree and the consumer must assemble and apply the stickers themselves. They're snap-together kits, but aren't exactly meant to be taken apart once assembled so it's advisable to try and get them right the first time.

AMW-01 is Gabu. AMW-02 is Baru, and AMW-03 is Dai. Their robot modes are based on a horseshoe crab, a falcon, and a crocodile respectfully. They are light grey, grey, and dark grey respectfully, each having a translucent yellow-orange energon crystal (apparently representing Electro...Electron?) in the three different shapes. Trapezoid for Hit Points, Hexagon for Attack Points, Circle for Speed Points, which applies to some online/mobile Japanese game thingy. Each gets a red sticker for their eye, and Gabu and Baru get silvery stickers while Dai gets a pair of gold stickers for his sides. There's not really any articulation to speak of in these guys.

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur GabuBaruDai_Bot

Now, for the individual weapon modes. Normally, the Microns convert into their pack in partner's weapon, such as Gora becoming Megatron's fusion cannon, but for others it might be something different. In this case, Gabu becomes a crossbow, Baru a meat cleaver, and Dai makes a cannon. They've got 5 mm pegs to hold them by, so nearly anyone can do so, and various other 5 mm pegs and ports to attach them wherever the heck you'd like on a figure...although Baru can only really be hand held. But as an example, let's have First Edition Starscream hold Gabu, Jet Vehicon hold Baru, and pair Dai with Vehicon as Dai's tail/stock plays nicer with the Vehicons' odd arm design.

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur GabuBaruDai_Alt

Now, we put them together to make the giant sword. Gabu: fold the handle down a bit, swing the crystal back up, fold the bow arms together and bring the handle up again to fill the back. Baru does...nothing, he just stays in meat cleaver mode. Just plug his handle into the bottom of Gabu. Dai: fold the sides down halfway, straighten his tail, then fold it down to make the guard. Baru's face points away from the guard when plugged in. But now that that's out of the way, the result is one massive and cohesive sword. This thing is nearly as long as a Voyager figure is tall, easily dwarfing a Deluxe. And it's in this mode where all the ornamental stickers come into play. The silver stickers make up the edges of the blade while the gold on Dai's sides adds ornamentation to the hilt. It's a very clever idea! ...Unfortunately, in execution it kind of falls apart due to the stickers not exactly being of the greatest quality. In particular, the silver stickers for the blade have to kind of bend over the edge, and they really don't like to stay there. Gluing them down with a glue stick helps a bit, but I wouldn't expect these stickers to last. If you've got the skills, you could just paint where the stickers are supposed to go and just use the ones that go beneath the energon crystals. So who better to wield such a massive weapon...

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur DarkMatterCalibur

...Than First Edition Megatron. Hm. Perhaps I should have used the Voyager? Eh, I don't care for the Voyager as much as the Deluxe. Interestingly enough though, Arms Micron did repaint the Voyager Megatron, which they previously used for AM-15 Darkness Megatron, into AM-33 Final Battle Megatron. The interesting thing? To represent the Dark Energon saber he fashioned with an unknown Prime's forearm and the Forge of Solus Prime, (I'm sure she wouldn't be happy about the user or the material used with her Forge) he came with smokey translucent black recolors of these three Microns complete with 'Death Dark' violet energon crystals and violet blade stickers.

So, the final verdict. Are these worth it? At roughly $7 a pop, I don't see why not. Unless you really hate model kits or something like that, these are pretty neat just to experience.

And I've fallen down a rabbit hole with these. I've fallen down hard. I've got ten of these suckers. They will be reviewed...eventually. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll re-review Jida R, considering I wasn't able to save his review in time...
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur Empty Re: Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur

Post by Sixshot Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Nice review! Only had one arms micron before selling off my Prime collection, but I will say he was fun to put together, though he mostly stayed in gun mode for my Vehicon soldier.
Sixshot
Sixshot
Pimp Maestro of the Lair
Pimp Maestro of the Lair

http://joevscobrabattle.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur Empty Re: Arms Micron AMW-01, 02, 03 - Dark Matter Calibur

Post by Detective Barricade Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 am

These guys can be addictive when you get multiple ones. Not gonna defend the stickers so much, but the more you get, the more potential for ludicrous and ludicrously big weapons you have. And for Voyagers, it's MUCH better than their POS Powerizer weapons the Hasbro versions came with...

Seriously. A sword that doesn't lock as a sword with an LED that does next to nothing, or a sword that can convert into a little robot (that in this case homages an obscure character) albeit with assembly required. Which sounds like the cooler thing? (and yes I'll get to the one I'm talking about eventually)
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down