Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Galvatrons Lair
Welcome to my Lair!!
Galvatrons Lair
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn

3 posters

Go down

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn Empty Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn

Post by Detective Barricade Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes, another Age of Extinction toy review. And likely last before the movie comes out in theaters. I've covered Slug, and I've covered Grimlock, it seems it's time to cover one of the new guys. Luckily, wave 1 includes one! With so much pressure of living up to being called a Dinobot, why don't we take a look and see how he fares?

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn AoEScorn_Alt_zps093b837f

Meet Scorn. His alternate mode is a Spinosaurus, one of the largest carnivorous dinosaurs known to live. Even larger than Tyrannosaurus Rex. That is most certainly not represented here with Scorn being a Deluxe and Grimlock being a Voyager, but since when has Transformers really given any notion of concern about scale, especially in the main lines? Anyway, his main colors are red, grey, and dark grey. A bright, fiery orange constitutes most of the painted color that isn't red, dark grey, or dark silver, and has turquoise eyes. The pieces of his neural spines and almost the entirety of his tail are PVC, but this stuff feels much stiffer than what's used on Slug. He shares his comrade's appearance of being comprised of sharp pointy bits, which looks cool. Due to how he transforms, the neural spines end up slightly off to the right, and he can be a bit back heavy if he's not posed with the body horizontal. Moving the hips can dislodge the entire pelvis from its beast mode position as nothing really keeps it there, and the tail is completely static, but you can mess with the forelegs/arms and head and neck. Just don't twist the head too far to one side as then the throat will look broken, and tilting up has the same effect. But the jaw can open quite a bit before looking odd. And now, a size comparison.

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn AoEScorn_Altcompare_zps9ceee18f

Quite the long beast, isn't he? Granted, about half of that is tail, but still! Let's get to robot mode.

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn AoEScorn_Bot_zps9e788c17

Transformation is much more straightforward with Scorn than it was with Slug, and has an...almost familiar style with the limbs. Yesss... Once again, the robot mode takes inspiration from a medieval knight complete with a bucket head style helmet. The neural spines have parted, turned around, and form back fins sort of like samurai war flags. The tail now functions as a huge spear arm, and stores his serrated sword when not in use/beast mode. As though he doesn't have enough sharp pointy bits on the spear itself. Now, officially, the jaw is supposed to fold completely open I guess like an arm shield and the chest of the dinosaur is supposed to fold back up against his lower back to keep his torso from turning. I prefer how I have him pictured, and this allows his body to turn in the middle. It initially resists turning any further clockwise than it already has for robot mode, but after it happily turns without risking anything. No new colors show up in this mode, and the turquoise carries over into his visor. With the dinosaur chest not pegged in, he has about 16 points of articulation to play with, though only his head and hips are ball jointed. Speaking of the head, its upward range is only awkwardly accessible without doing a slight mod to it. Basically, just round off the corners of the ball socket in the back a bit. So how does he stack up against his wave-mates?

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn AoEScorn_Botcompare_zps4f069dcf

About the same size as Crosshairs and Slug, if not just a hair taller. The back fins do add a bit to his silhouette, though certainly not in an obtrusive way.

Scorn is my favorite out of the Age of Extinction figures out so far. While some may be more interested if he had the G1 Dinobot colors of grey with gold and red highlights, his current fiery colors I think suit him much better. Really, it's almost a shame this isn't accurate to the movie, as this color scheme seems to add a lot of personality to what's almost inevitably going to be a character that has none to speak of whatsoever and might not even transform in the movie. Not unlike DOTM Topspin now that I think about it...
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn Empty Re: Age of Extinction Deluxe Scorn

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:27 pm

I was just thinking a potential repaint/retool of this figure could be Beast Wars Megatron, first form, ditch the spikes on the back, retool the head and viola a modern representation of the first Beast Megatron
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:19 am

SuperOmegaPrime wrote:I was just thinking a potential repaint/retool of this figure could be Beast Wars Megatron, first form, ditch the spikes on the back, retool the head and viola a modern representation of the first Beast Megatron
You wouldn't be the first person to think that.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Detective Barricade wrote:
SuperOmegaPrime wrote:I was just thinking a potential repaint/retool of this figure could be Beast Wars Megatron, first form, ditch the spikes on the back, retool the head and viola a modern representation of the first Beast Megatron
You wouldn't be the first person to think that.

True, true, but he would make a fitting Megatron!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:48 am

Okay. So I was mistaken. Scorn and the others do in fact appear in robot mode in the movie. At least once, in fact.

Still had no real character in the movie. And now I REALLY prefer the toy colors to the movie's lack of colors other than the eyes.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Saviour Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:22 am

I like how Scorn uses his tail arm as a scarf. It's how I pose mine.

Next he'll be offering jellybabies...
Dark Saviour
Dark Saviour
Fap Master of the Lair

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:47 am

Detective Barricade wrote: And now I REALLY prefer the toy colors to the movie's lack of colors other than the eyes.

All of the Dinobots look better with Hasbro's Generations toys, well, save for the voyager Grimlock, I think the leader version's colours are superior, thus I have no intention of getting Takara's versions!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Detective Barricade Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:10 pm

SuperOmegaPrime wrote:
Detective Barricade wrote: And now I REALLY prefer the toy colors to the movie's lack of colors other than the eyes.

All of the Dinobots look better with Hasbro's Generations toys, well, save for the voyager Grimlock, I think the leader version's colours are superior, thus I have no intention of getting Takara's versions!
Only in the face, IMO. Plus the Voyager fits in better with the others including SludgeSlog.
Detective Barricade
Detective Barricade
Attention Seeker

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperOmegaPrime Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:24 pm

Detective Barricade wrote:
SuperOmegaPrime wrote:

Only in the face, IMO. Plus the Voyager fits in better with the others including SludgeSlog.

Maybe so, but the voyager, I kind of wish they gave him similar treatment to what the leader got in terms of paint, make him a lot nicer then!
SuperOmegaPrime
SuperOmegaPrime
Promiscuous Post Whore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down